When you’re planning a trip Down Under it’s easy to get so carried away with the fabulous end destination that you almost ignore the journey. There’s no doubt that long haul can be a labour, but some judicious planning will help make getting there almost as much fun as being there.
Here are the Five Favourite Tips from Oasis Travel’s Ozzie-loving long haulers:
- Fly high with a highly rated airline. We’re recommending the Emirates service from Dublin into Brisbane, Perth, Melbourne or Sydney. You get the convenience of a no-fuss Dublin departure, plus access to all those factors that make Emirates a regular favourite with pollsters: generous baggage allowance, great comfort, fab airline food and supreme service.
- Your trip can include a stopover in the exciting and exotic gateway hub of Dubai. Check out this Oasis Travel blog on one of our travel agent’s recent trips for things to do. Breaking up the journey with a day or two ‘rest and relaxation’ probably costs less than you imagine and, as well as making your travel less stressful and exhausting, it kicks off your holiday of a lifetime with style. On the return leg it will give you a great chance to ‘decompress’ before getting back to routine.
- Treat yourself and upgrade for leg room and luxury. If the holiday budget won’t stretch to livin’ the dream both ways, then consider an upgrade in one direction only, especially if it’s a leg which involves an overnight flight.
- Book your flights, transfers and accommodation with your tried-and-trusted travel agent. Knowing that everything is pre-arranged and managed on your behalf is a great stress reducer. Most people plan their Australian adventure at least a year ahead: that’s not too early to be talking to your agent and an early conversation, with an insight into forthcoming bargains and promotions, could help you make the most of your holiday budget.
- Treat the flight as part of your holiday rather than an ordeal to be endured. A positive attitude (and the right airline of course) will work wonders. Be ready to revel in the cuisine, in-flight entertainment and attentive service and remember the old adage ‘Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.’
Give your nearest Oasis Travel branch a call to look into your best options when next flying long haul.